to the edge.
If there is one thing that moving to Utah has taught me, it's that I don't do cold well. And I'm pretty sure I've passed that on to my daughters.
![]() |
| "Mom, I'm COOOLD!!" |
So last weekend we decided to pack up and head to St. George for the weekend to add a little Vitamin D to our lives and break out our shorts!!
Of course, I was extra careful with the kids leading up to our trip. Wouldn't want anyone getting sick like EVERYONE ELSE WE KNOW. So taking them to stores and watching them crawl around on the floors was definitely the most appropriate thing to do.
![]() |
| Yes, they are lying on the bathroom floor. I've seriously just given up at this point. |
Kinsey was STOKED, but realized that she would definitely be needing a suitcase for the occasion. I knew Amazon Prime would come in handy at some point :) The day before we left, this beauty arrived and it was on.
![]() |
| Please make a mental note of Teagan's sock situation. This will come into play later. |
Packing was a breeze, as expected. Kinsey wanted to take all of the essentials including her whoopee cushion, dinosaurs, and baby dolls. Those were obviously more important than underwear or socks. And Teagan helped by taking everything that I put into the suitcase, back out of the suitcase. It only took me 3 hours to fully accomplish which was actually better than expected :P We loaded up and hit the road....but not before a fun family selfie!
![]() |
| Everyone is SO happy! Probably because this was 24 seconds into the drive :P PS - LOOK HOW CLEAN MY CAR IS!!! PPS - Notice T's sock is the only thing in the aisle. |
Our first stop was Springville to go potty (I'm suuch a mom), eat, and enjoy the absolutely beautiful weather!
We played on the swings...
and Teagan ate food off the ground.
Then we hit the road for a fun 3 hrs of backseat screaming. Poor Kins :/
When this finally happened 20 minutes before arriving at our destination,
we threw a party!
![]() |
A totally silent party where Jordan took his hands and eyes off the road to document. Only the safest for our kids :)
|
Upon arriving, it was time to meet our friends, Adam, Carla, and their two kids...IN THE POOL!! Bathing suits here we come :)
Dinner was at the fine dining establishment known as Cracker Barrel where we made the single largest mess I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I'm pretty sure at least 7 of those golf tees were missing when we left and I have no idea where they went.
The general store was a big hit and Kinsey bought a $4 lizard which turned out to be the best $4 I've ever spent. It's been over a week now and she still refuses to part with it, even for naps and bedtime.
We hit up Nielsen's Frozen Custard for dessert and I got to enjoy the stink eye from a group of about 10 girls my age. No, I didn't steal their husband like you might have thought...but I WAS wear a tank top and shorts, which is apparently a pretty equal offense.
We got all snuggled up in bed and for the first time ever the girls slept together!!!! We were super nervous to see how this would work out, but we got both girls cuddled up on the pull-out couch with about 15 pillows in and around the bed and said a little prayer.
Teagy was a little scared at first
![]() |
| "Dadaaaa!" |
But after big sister stepped in and started making silly faces at her, life was all good again :)
They were both able to fall asleep and sleep completely through the night, which opens up a whole new world for our family! Eeeek!!
The next day, we dressed up in our most summery outfits,
sprayed each other in the eyes with fountain water,
and went to Snow Canyon to explore this beautiful state!!
Someone...ok, me....had the genius idea to give the kids buckets and shovels so that they could collect rocks and have a "job" to do while hiking. Let me tell you how that goes. Kids stop every 5 seconds to find rocks, dig pounds of dirt into the bucket, make their parents hold the bucket, and then fight with their little sibling over the shovel. A great time if you ask me :)
In Snow Canyon there are Lava Caves where you can see the evidence of a long-ago volcanic eruption. It was incredible! There were not only lava rocks, but also the caves and underground tunnels where the lava flowed. So naturally, Jordan and Adam took the kids down the perilous 30-40 foot drop to check it out.
![]() |
| Kinsey was so pumped and came out of the caves saying, "Mom!! We were in the Google Cardboard!!" SMH...only in this day and age. |
We then hit up Jenny's Trail to check out the slot canyons.
Now I just want to take a moment to say that we live only 4 hours from this amazing natural place. The words, "Nah Nah Nah Nah Boo Boo" come to mind but I would never say that out loud :P
We then safely loaded our kids in the back of the minivan totally unbuckled (because we are a product of the 80s and survived riding our bikes without helmets) and drove to a campground for lunch.
![]() |
| I document everything. Even damning evidence that can later be used against me in a court of law. |
Lunch was delicious and relaxing. For everyone, at least, besides Teagan, who fell off of Jordan's lap, split her lip, and bled everywhere.
And for me, who is set on being a weirdo.
![]() |
| I'm sure Kinsey's reaction is the 4 year old equivalent of "Stop it mom, you're embarrassing me!" |
The hot tub was calling our names after naps, so we graciously obliged.
Then we headed back to the room to squat a poop out in the shower.
After dinner at the Pizza Factory and a little running around afterwards, our trip was almost complete. We got the kids in bed, watched some Dateline murder mysteries and hit the sack. The next day we destroyed the hotel breakfast area and then played at the park before hitting the road to head back home.
Now here is where it all comes full circle. We did a lot driving on this trip, and no matter how long we were in the car, Teagan's right shoe/sock combo came off. I'm not sure what this represents, and I have to say, it is kind of cute, but also super annoying. She's like a magician and that shoe might as well be hidden by David Blane himself.
When we stopped to get smoothies, we all held hands into the store.
And then Teagan pulled a fake palm tree on my head as I took this picture.
I literally live in a constant state of embarrassment.
So smoothies were a great idea, right? Easy for them to drink themselves and then I don't have to be in the backseat supervising.
Wrong.
I look back right as we are getting onto the interstate and watch Teagan pull out her straw and jam it through the side of the styrofoam. Immediately smoothie gushes out at the pace of Old Faithful and although I want to ram my head into a freggin wall...all I can do is laugh, then grab the cup so that instead of pouring out all over her, it soaks me too. Perfect.
About 30 minutes later we've been touched by an angel and Teagan is sleeping. We will NOT screw that up. So when I have to pee a 10 bad because I'm the intellectual who drank a giant smoothie before a road trip, I know I'm in trouble. Jordan shuts down any inkling that I might be able to pull over into an actual bathroom so I know it's time to repurpose my smoothie cup. I'll spare you the picture, although not surprisingly Jordan did take one. This trip just can't get any better.
We arrived home to two things.
#1 A sick Teagan....can you tell?
#2: A gift from Adam and Carla, which I'm sure we will get way too much use out of.
Overall, it was a really wonderful weekend and Kinsey put it best when she said, "Mom, dad, we're making fun family core memories!!" And now that we know Kins and T can sleep together, we can't wait to do it again :) Thanks for a great time Adam and Carla, let's definitely do it again soon!



























No comments:
Post a Comment